Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 23:36:57 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 1password memorable passwords

On Thu, Nov 09, 2023 at 09:16:31PM +0000, Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong wrote:
> That's what I'm doing now with a simple Rust program generating 3 word
> combos. I'm only hitting around 1300 tries per second with
> --format=dmg-opencl on my MBP M1 Pro 32GB, does that sound about right? How
> many more tries can I get if I rent a beefier machine on the cloud?

Like Matt correctly wrote, "if you can't remember more of your password,
you probably are not going to be able to crack it."  The password space
is just too large (you said 2^56) and the speed too low.

As to the specific speeds, they depend not only on the hardware, but
also on the iteration count used by your specific file.  It is printed
by "john", as in a screenshot currently at the bottom of this page:

https://www.openwall.com/john/cloud/

On that page, you can also get text files with benchmark results on
various AWS instances.  For example, for p3.2xlarge we have:

Benchmarking: dmg-opencl, Apple DMG [PBKDF2-SHA1 3DES/AES OpenCL]... LWS=32 GWS=40960 (1280 blocks) DONE
Speed for cost 1 (iteration count) of 1000, cost 2 (version) of 2 and 1
Raw:	1743K c/s real, 5032K c/s virtual

This is for 1000 iterations, like ancient DMG files used.  If your file
isn't that ancient, it's probably using something like 150000 iterations,
so the speed would be roughly 150 times lower, or around 10k per second.
That's around 10 times faster than you have on the MBP, but still by far
not fast enough.  At that kind of speed, you'd need a hundred thousand
years to search the password space exhaustively, or you'd have something
like a 0.0005% chance of cracking your password in a year.

These are approximate numbers, but they should set the expectations.

Alexander