Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 11:28:23 -0500
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 1password memorable passwords

The most recent "Crack Me If You Can" password cracking competition had a
similar challenge, and in my write-up I talked about cracking Correct Horse
Battery Staple near the end of it. Here's a link to that blog post:

https://reusablesec.blogspot.com/2023/08/hashcat-tips-and-tricks-for-hacking.html

I know that this is a John the Ripper mailing list, so my apologies for
talking about another tool, but Hashcat might scale a bit better for the
problem you are trying to solve. I will say, hopefully your password is
only three words long. Four words, while theoretically crackable, will
require a lot of resources and time. Here is a writeup 1password put out
regarding a password cracking competition they ran specifically targeting
their password suggestion algorithm:

https://blog.1password.com/cracking-challenge-update/

Even three words is tough for most people's setups. If you can happen to
remember one of the words though, it can become a much more solvable
problem.

Long story short,  hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you can't
remember more of your password, you probably are not going to be able to
crack it.

Cheers,
Matt / Lakiw