Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 09:52:13 -0700
From: jeff <jeff@...funit.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: very low cpu usage when cracking one password

I am running a recent version of john, using descript on a single
unknown password.
I have a 64 core amd epyc processor.
John is running, but it seems to be using only 1 thread.
My cpu usage is between 1 and 3 percent.
Is there any way to use more threads when I have only 1 psssword to crack?

thanks,
jeff

john_dev_pack_2023_05_14.1_winX64_1_JtR\run>john.exe
--wordlist=\password-cracking\dictionaries\rockyou2021.txt
--rules=ins_control_1  \password-cracking\unix_history_pass
Warning: detected hash type "descrypt", but the string is also
recognized as "descrypt-opencl"
Use the "--format=descrypt-opencl" option to force loading these as that
type instead
Using default input encoding: UTF-8
Loaded 26 password hashes with 26 different salts (descrypt, traditional
crypt(3) [DES 256/256 AVX2])
Remaining 1 password hash
Will run 128 OpenMP threads
Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, 'h' for help, almost any other key for status
Enabling duplicate candidate password suppressor
Disabling duplicate candidate password suppressor