Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 14:37:06 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Unable to use OpenCL on arm64v8/debian stretch

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 08:23:30AM -0400, billwhittaker@...e-mail.net wrote:
>         I do not know why I am seeing 112/113 now, but saw only 12 earlier.

Maybe because you didn't use the "--force-scalar" option before?

> 	Shouldn't the results be vice-versa, with the GPU outperforming the CPU?

This varies.  It is common for the CPU to be faster than its embedded
GPU.  However, you should be able to use both at once (usually with
separate "john" processes, or as two separate OpenCL devices) for maybe
better cumulative speed (unless the CPU throttles a lot worse when the
GPU is also in use).

> 	Could the runtime/driver for the GPU somehow cause such a low c/s?

Of course.  But now it's sane speed relative to the CPU.  This is just a
low-power device, which can't possibly be fast.

Alexander

P.S. Somehow each time you post, you end up starting a new thread.  Are
you not using your mail program's "reply" feature?  You should, so that
the In-Reply-To header would be set (it is missing on your replies).