Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2018 11:08:25 -0400
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Convert JtR rules to HashCat format

Is there a way to output JtR rules when they have had their
preprocessor rules expanded? The goal is to convert JtR rules to a
format that Hashcat can understand.

I see that it looks like bartavelle did something similar already:
https://github.com/bartavelle/manglingrules, but I was wondering if
that functionality was already in JtR.

Background:

I really like using JtR's preprocessor rules when creating rules by
hand. Aka I can do things like:

A0'test[0-9][0-9]' to pre-pend "test" + 2 digits to all dictionary
words. Hashcat doesn't support that, so to make use of that you need
to expand the rule out into 100 different rules. Also pre-pending
strings gets weird since you have to do them in reverse. Aka
pre-pending "test" would be:

^t^s^e^t

There's times though that I like using Hashcat, so I'm looking for the
ability to easily convert between my JtR rules to something hashcat
can use.

Cheers,
Matt