Date: Sat, 5 May 2018 11:34:15 -0700
From: Eric Oyen <eric.oyen@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: failed to break my own created password

will any of the BitCoin specific GPU modules (hardware) work for this? those are relatively cheap and can be run from a USB hub.

I have a Rasberry pie unit here that I am dedicating to Software Defined Radio (as a air spy server) but with the of a couple of these modules, it can also double as a BitCoin mining node as well as solving for password strength.

btw, I still have JTR running on the mac mini working on that password hash. I set min length to 8 characters and max length to 18 characters and am allowing only the use of 2 symbols (! and .). I am letting it run incrementally on the problem and will leave it alone. Since that is a multicore machine, I have multiple instances running (1 per core) and each one is set for it's own min and max length settings). I will get this, but it is going to take a little longer than I planned on.

I might kill off one of the instances and do a run based on info given in this thread.

thanks for the helpful hints.

-eric

PGP fingerprint: 6DFB D6B0 3771 90F1 373E 570C 7EA2 1FF3 6B68 0386