Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 21:49:02 -0700
From: Eric Oyen <eric.oyen@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: got DaveGrohl and JtR working, need to focus the attack

ok,
well, the reason I need those cracked, I haven't used them on my macbook in a long time and I need access to their keychains in order to recover other account info. btw, one of them cracked in 20 seconds (once I used the proper character set - alpha plus numbers).

As for the patch, I got hold of the developer and he sent me a note on how to change the old source (A line for JTR support was commented out). He has since made the change on the source, so now it should work right out of the box.

btw, the command format to output a proper hash in OS X is: ./dave -j <short username here> and it will spit it out on StDout. then all you need to do is copy and paste into a text file and set jar to working on it with the usual variables (such as password length, wordlist file, etc.)

The n7zzt account on my machine is proving far more difficult to crack. I have ruled out 5 character passwords, working on 6 now (due to be done in 7 days and will try on 7 for the length (which, if I have to use any of the special characters might well require several years brute forcing). In fact, if my calculations are correct, that operation will take no less than 590 days, 22 hours and a handful of minutes.

btw, I do know that the n7zzt password is likely 8 or 13 characters long, contains several numbers as well as 1 symbol "!" and the letters (possibly) such as H, m, r,d,n,L,z,t (and any of their capitalized variants).

I may have to use another program called crunch to create a specialized wordlist for those lengths that include specifically those letters, numbers and the 1 special symbol. I can already guess that the word list size for the 13 character passwords is going to be slightly larger than 10 TB. Basically, that will be stupidly large and I don't have that amount of space available.

anyway, that's the news so far. btw, the technomage account was stupidly easy (it had 5 numbers and 4 letters (lower case) and no symbols and was only 10 characters in length.  that cut 95 characters down to a possible 36 and it turned out that one of the combinations was already in a custom list I generated with crunch (file size about 1 GB).

anyway, that's it for now.

-eric

PGP fingerprint: 6DFB D6B0 3771 90F1 373E 570C 7EA2 1FF3 6B68 0386