Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 11:17:11 -0700
From: Eric Oyen <eric.oyen@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: loading OS X hashes from Davegrohl

Hello everyone,

as the subject says, john is giving me a fit.

here is the problem:
I dump the password hash and the shadow hash into a single file using Davegrohl (a nice little password checker tool from 2012). Both the hashes seem correct so far as I can tell. I have tried using the same file with a blank line between the passed and shadow hashes, tried to use separate files (named passed and shadow) and even tried to load the hashes directly on the command line. in all cases, john reports "no hashes loaded, see FAQ!".

unfortunately I have done everything called for, but no soap. Am I missing something.

btw, I am also totally blind here and depend on the screen reader on my old Lion OS X mac to tell me what's going on. So, if I am missing something that should be visually apparent, then that is happening.

so, what can I do here?

anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, I would certainly appreciate hearing from you.

btw, the relevant FAQ stipulates that password hashes need to be placed on their own lines inside the file. Since I am only working on 1, this should make things easy (or so I thought).

thanks,

Eric
Blind System Administrator (formerly of alt-hacker.org )