Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 15:35:12 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Is john really using Narayanan and Shmatikov whitepaper?

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 02:23:04PM +0100, Matlink wrote:
> I was wondering, for research purposes, how John was applying Markov
> chains for its markov mode.

I think the closest to documentation of Markov mode's internals is this
presentation, by Simon who contributed this mode to jumbo:

http://www.openwall.com/presentations/Passwords12-Probabilistic-Models/

I also want to say once again that if you do any research involving
JtR jumbo's Markov mode, please also include in your research JtR's
incremental mode, which pre-dates Markov mode and isn't named Markov but
is also closely related.

Unfortunately, the Markov vs. incremental mode comparison in the above
presentation uses JtR 1.7's incremental mode, whereas 1.8's should
perform better.

Alexander