Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 13:16:19 -0500
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Markov Sampling

So my initial reaction was that I'm doubtful printing out 1/10 of all
the password guesses will give you the end results you are looking
for. Here are a couple of other options:

1) You can always work backwards if your target plaintexts are known.
Aka calculate the level required to generate them, (that's easy to do.
Sum up all of the transitions based on your character file). Once you
have that, calculate how many guesses are required to get to that
level which the included tools in JtR will do for you. If you need
additional help on this approach I can write up something more
detailed. This is *super* fast and gives you a pretty good
approximation.

2) You can rely on JtR's own logging to see when passwords would be
cracked so that way you are not slowed down by piping the output to
stdout or using a 3rd party tool to figure out how many passwords you
cracked. If you want to go this route I'm sure the people on this list
can help out.

There's other options as well I guess. You could always modify the
Markov code directly in JtR. If you want other examples of the Markov
code, I re-implemented it in Python for my PCFG cracker. You can see
the guess generation code at:

 https://github.com/lakiw/pcfg_cracker/blob/master/python_pcfg_cracker/pcfg_manager/markov_cracker.py

Of course, my code is slow so that almost certainly is not the way to
go, but it may be useful as a reference. Long story short, if you let
us know more what you are trying to do I'm sure we can brainstorm some
better options.

Matt