Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 16:50:10 -0800
From: jeff <jeff@...funit.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: making wordlist rules

I want to make a rule to prepend and append punctuation and symbols to
words from a wordlist.
My passwords are limited to 8 characters, so I am also truncating the
words to 7 characters.
I tried:

[List.Rules:pre_post_1]
# truncate to 7, then prefix or append with punct or special
'7^?p
'7^?s
'7$?p
'7$?s

That didn't work, as the ?p and ?s didn't seem to be interpreted.

So I tried:

[List.Rules:pre_post_1]
# truncate to 7, then prefix or append with punct or special
'7^$
'7$$
'7^[%^&*()-_+=|\<>{}#@/~]
'7$[%^&*()-_+=|\<>{}#@/~]

This half worked. It seems I could not put in [ or ].
Also some characters in the dictionary get uppercased and 0-9 seems to
be substituted in.
Clearly some characters need to be escaped in order to work properly,
but I didn't see rules
for escaping or quoting characters at
http://www.openwall.com/john/doc/RULES.shtml
I would like to get all the punctuation and symbols prepended or
appended to my dictionary
rules. I would appreciate the correct way to escape the needed characters.

thanks in advance