Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 20:16:40 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: run/ztex/ in binary builds

Hi,

Now that we have the run/ztex/ directory in the source tree
pre-populated with bitstreams, those also get into custom builds that
people in our community may be making - even if the builds were made
without "--enable-ztex".  That's wasteful.

For example, this is the case for "john-1.8.0.9-jumbo-macosx_v3.zip
(64-bit x86 AVX2) (36.2 MB)" and "john-1.8.0.9-jumbo-macosx_sse2.zip
(64-bit x86 SSE2) (36.2 MB)" currently on the wiki and in contrib:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/custom-builds#Compiled-for-Mac-OS-X

I am posting this message to:

1. Inform those making custom builds that they should exclude the
run/ztex/ directory from the archives.  (Not add "--enable-ztex",
which is for advanced users who would likely make their own builds.)

2. Suggest that we consider excluding this directory from run on builds
without "--enable-ztex".  Maybe we should have the bitstreams in a
subdirectory of src, which we'd copy to run only in "--enable-ztex"
builds?  The copying will be wasteful, but it'd affect only a minority
of users, whereas the pre-existing directory will likely continue
(despite of my request above) to get into archives that more people use.
We already do such copying for OpenCL kernels.

Alexander