Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 11:18:20 +0100
From: "Jeroen" <spam@...lab.nl>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Testing ZTEX boards?

Hi,

I'd like to get a ZTEX board and make sure that it's working properly before
I buy it, to run some kind of diagnostics. Preferably really simple since
I'm not experiences with FPGAs, JTAG etc.

According to john documentation and earlier postings, it seems to me that
the following should work:

- Install libusb-dev.
- Configure with ZTEX enabled, compile.
- Hook up the ZTEX device to USB.
- Run john with a *-ztex format, this will automatically upload the correct
firmware.
- Cracking starts == working board.

Is this correct and does it sound like a good approach?

If I check ztex/* after compiling I don't see anything that looks like newly
compiled FPGA code. But again, as an FPGA newbie I might overlook things.

Thanks,

Jeroen