Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 09:34:55 -0400
From: "Scott I. Remick" <scott@...mick.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OMP vs. OpenCL performance

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017, at 03:10 AM, magnum wrote:
>  I presume your hashes are in the order of 500,000 iterations. If not,
> that's too slow.

I did some research and couldn't find a definitive answer to that, but I
wouldn't put it beyond Apple to use that many in MacOS in 2017. Perhaps
someone on this list knows.

But is that "too slow" opinion based just upon the OMP p/s, or the
OpenCL figure as well? Since I'm already a convert to OpenCL and going
to run with that, as long as the OpenCL numbers look good I won't stress
out about it. But if those figures also seem too small for the presumed
iterations then I'll definitely be looking for assistance to diagnose
that.

> Ensure you buy an nvidia with Maxwell (9xx) or Pascal (10xx) chipset. As
> you've seen, even a low budget one will be way faster than your CPU.

Definitely. I'm leaning towards a GTX 1070, having built several Oculus
Rift and HTC Vive VR workstations at this point, it seems to be the
sweet spot at the moment. And one with a blower-exhaust design (vs. a
"churn" design), like the Asus card which I've had great success with.
However this is a low-priority and not happening anytime soon, so for
the time being I'm looking to squeeze out as much performance from my
existing hardware as I can.