Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 20:04:08 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Custom Windows build 1.8.0.9 - What happened to zip2john?

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 6:57 PM, Glen B <lucky0106@....com> wrote:

> Hi Robert et. al.,
>
> Sorry for taking so long to respond - I've downloaded the updated
> September build of 1.8.0.9. I'm happy to see that zip2john.exe is back!
> Running it on my zip file produces the following ouput:
>
> ver 2.0 Labs.zip->Labs.pdf PKZIP Encr: cmplen=1838962, decmplen=2008077,
> crc=7830B902
>
> So that seems to be working well? The output hash is kind of odd - the
> file I saved it to is 7,184KB in size, but the output format seems
> normal enough? When I run john, however...
>
> .\run\john.exe --show .\zip.hash
> Warning: '/dev/shm' does not exists or is not a directory.

I've had that error before, seems to be an environment issue, meaning if
you run John from a Cygwin environment the issue I believe goes away.
Otherwise there may have to be something done to the code to fix that
issue. I don't think it's a hard error, JtR should just move past it.

> POSIX shared memory objects require the existance of this directory.
> Create the directory '/dev/shm' and set the permissions to 01777.
> For instance on the command line: mkdir -m 01777 /dev/shm

This is the real problem

> Warning: invalid UTF-8 seen reading .\zip.hash
> 0 password hashes cracked, 0 left

The file seems to contain a non-UTF-8 string inside it, but again JtR
should move past that... The hash may not be correct, is it possible to
post it, perhaps privately to one of the developers (not me :)
Try the command without the SHOW.