Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 14:17:42 -0400
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: 'PassGAN: A Deep Learning Approach'

Tim,
    I'll have to admit I read though your reply several times and have
all sorts of questions! For example, did you use NuPIC for your HTM
implementation and if so what were your impressions of it?

Circling back to passwords, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts
on what might be a good approach for machine learning + password
security. You obviously seem to have a lot of practical experiences in
the subject.

Personally I'd like to see research move beyond looking into the
conditional probability of letters and instead focus on identifying
the underlying thought process behind password selection. Aka as
humans we're pretty good at looking at passwords and going:

1qazse4rfvgy7 = keyboard walk
p@...0rd = l33t sp33k
1qazp@...0rd = keyboard walk + l33t speak
johnusersmailinglist123 = 4 words + digits

Just automating that, even without adding in guess generation in
probability order, would be nice. Right now most of that is done via
simple pattern matching (zxcvbn is a good example
https://github.com/dropbox/zxcvbn). There's certainly areas for
improvement.