Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 19:48:52 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ZTEX 1.15y compatible boards?

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 03:12:46PM +0200, Jeroen wrote:
> Solar Designer wrote:
> >If there's commercial demand or sponsor(s), we can probably add support (and
> >proceed to add more hash types, too).  Without such demand/sponsorship,
> >probably not.

> What do you consider as appropriate sponsorship?

For adding support for a new FPGA board with a different type of FPGAs
(or otherwise substantially different from what we currently support):

If this were requested by a client and we'd be expected to work on it as
a commercial project (prioritizing it as such, meeting a planned
schedule, etc.), the price quote would be in tens of thousands of
dollars or Euros for first hash type, then roughly twice less (but
still same order of magnitude) per each subsequent dissimilar hash type.

For a best effort community project with no specific priority nor
deadline, we'll consider much smaller sponsorship offers as well.  Every
"little bit" helps and could affect the decision-making.  But we're
still talking at least thousands.  I understand this isn't literally
"little" for potential hobbyist users.  So that's just to answer your
question.

OTOH, these amounts look small if we express them in Bitcoins.  So if
a potential hobbyist user "got rich" holding onto their Bitcoins and
would be willing to sponsor our work with some, that could work out.

Alexander