Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 15:17:32 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: gpg2john working for symmetric encryption?

On Thu, Jul 06, 2017 at 08:26:16PM +0800, noir maru wrote:
> i have a file i created with tar -cz export| gpg -c -o export.tgz.gpg
>
> i run gpg2john export.tgz.gpg > export.hash
>
> at this point gpg2john complains that MDC is missing. export.hash is
> created and that starts with $gpg$*0.......
>
> and then i run john with ./john --wordlist wordlist.lst export.hash

What does this command say? -

wc export.hash

> there are some errors which i have included below and no password is found,
> though the known password is in the wordlist.

Of course, nothing would be found when the hashes are misdetected as
tripcode.  You may try "--format=gpg" as one of the warnings suggests.

However, this doesn't explain why you have so many lines in that file.
Did you possibly copy-paste it from another machine and inadvertently
introduced many linefeeds?

> is gpg2john not working with this kind of symmetric file encryption?

I don't know.  Maybe someone else will address this question.

But first you need to make sure you don't corrupt the file between the
gpg2john and the john invocations, as right now it looks like you did.

Of course, I could be wrong in my guess.

Alexander