Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 16:39:58 +0200
From: Bjarne D Mathiesen <s022518@...hiesen.info>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Mac OS X 10.12.5 : ./configure fails

magnum wrote:
> On 2017-06-12 12:35, Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:
>> JohnTheRipper-bleeding-jumbo
>> ----------------------------
>>
>> When I execute a plain ./configure , it fails :-(
>>
>> I've tried to look in configure.log, but the error that's reported in
>> Termial doesn't seem to be the root cause :
>>
>> checking for sqrt in -lm... no
>> configure: error: in
>> `/Volumes/Bjarne/DTU/2017-juni/PassWords/JohnTheRipper-bleeding-jumbo/src':
>>
>> configure: error: JtR requires libm being installed
>> See `config.log' for more details
>>
>> libm seems to be in /usr/lib , and when looking at the config.log, this
>> path seems to be in the include paths
>>
>> I've uploaded the config.log file to :
>> http://pns.dtu.mathiesen.info/jtr/config.log
>
> Somehow you seem to lack an assembler. The log file says this:
>
>  /macports/bin/as: assembler (/macports/bin/clang) not installed
>
> I'm not familiar with macports so I don't have any further clues for you.
>
> magnum
Thanks for the promp feedback :-)
That was easily fixable by installing a version of clang in macports :-)

In order for it to compile with MacPorts, you'll have to
1) install MacPorts
2) fix the PATH to start with the MacPorts paths
3) port install openmpi-devel-clang40
4a) port select --summary
fix these :
Name        Selected                       Options
====        ========                       =======
clang       mp-clang-4.0                   mp-clang-4.0 none
gcc         mp-gcc6                        mp-gcc6 none
llvm        mp-llvm-4.0                    mp-llvm-4.0 none
mpi         openmpi-devel-clang40-fortran  openmpi-devel-clang40-fortran
openmpi-devel-gcc6-fortran openmpi-mp-fortran none
4b) port select --set <name> <option>
5) port install openssl

./configure LDFLAGS=-L/macports/lib    CFLAGS="-O2 -I/macports/include"

I've uploaded two files :
http://pns.dtu.mathiesen.info/macports/macports.bash
http://pns.dtu.mathiesen.info/macports/defaultPaths.settings

that might be of help to others :-)
they _do_ reflect my custom install, so you might have to fix the paths
to your preferences ;-)

so now I've got it to compile successfully without mpi support ! :-)

--
   Bjarne Mathiesen                mailto:s022518@...dent.dtu.dk