Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 16:50:31 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CL_OUT_OF_RESOURCES error with --format=dmg-opencl

On 2017-05-11 00:23, magnum wrote:
> On 2017-05-11 00:11, B B wrote:
>> On May 10, 2017, at 1:32 PM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com
>> <mailto:john.magnum@...hmail.com>> wrote:
>>> A part of the problem is likely that your hash has a lot higher
>>> number of iterations than what is auto-tuned for and you get bitten
>>> by the kernel duration watchdog. We should definitely auto-tune for
>>> actual loaded hashes, not test vectors - but that's not implemented
>>> yet for this format.
>>
>>> (...)
>>
>> Success!
>>
>> I tried GWS=1024, then went to 4096. At 4096 my p/s increased 5 fold
>> up to 715p/s from 128p/s.
>>
>> Thats very impressive
>>
>> For the heck of it, since we were declaring only GWS instead of LWS
>> and GWS, I tried GWS=8192 and replicated the error. I suppose I could
>> pump it up a little more or try half again but will probably leave it
>> at 4096 and watch for your eventual updates in GitHub for this
>> particular issue. My latest ETA has moved from late June to 9 days out.
>> My desktop IS very slow now. So I may incrementally lower the single
>> kernel invocation as stated in the README, however the performance
>> increase is quite nice, thank you.
>>
>> 10 years of data might be worth a second video card ;)
>>
>> Thanks magnum
> Cool, I'm glad it was that easy. Watch
> https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/2538 for updates.

You might want to try latest commit. The DMG OpenCL format now use a
split kernel and auto-tunes for max. 200 ms per call. It should maximize
your speed (although response might be sluggish) without giving any
LWS/GWS manually.

Oh, and please back up your restore files before trying... just in case
we have some ugly bug in there.

magnum