Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 18:25:04 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How long to recover RAR3 SHA-1 AES [32/64] hash pwd

On 2017-05-02 01:02, Nick Wilsdon wrote:
> I'm trying to recover a password to an old .rar file - RAR3 SHA-1 AES
> [32/64]
>
> It's possibly up to 10 characters, lower-case alpha-numeric. I've been
> trying incremental mode, as my wordlists and guesses haven't worked (7 days
> so far)
>
> Looking at tools like - http://calc.opensecurityresearch.com/ - that seems
> to indicate this approach can potentially take 2.4m years. Can anyone
> confirm, before I build Deep Thought and pass on instructions to future
> generations?*

That would be correct if you run it on a single, slow, CPU core (about
50 c/s). Newer high-end ones should do twice of that or more. Using a
GPU or better yet several of them would speed it up substantially but
even a 1000x boost wont help from 2.4 million years of course.

> *or perhaps, go back to learning more about masks

If it's a truly random password, you're simply out of luck. If it's not,
with a good GPU you'll get a 1000x boost so you can try larger wordlists
or more permutations.

magnum