Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 13:16:22 +0100
From: Albert Veli <albert.veli@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How to Specify a Specific Password Pattern

On 02/20/2017 11:08 PM, Mike Laufer wrote:
> The password I'm trying to recover has a very specific pattern.  What
> is the best way to specify this pattern to john to minimize the time
> it takes to find the password?  For example, if I want to specify that
> the first character of the password is an upper case letter, followed
> by a lower case letter, followed by 2-3 upper or lower case letters
> followed by 1-2 digits, how do you configure this?
>
> Thanks!

You could do it in four runs:

john ... -mask=?u?d?u?u?d?d
john ... -mask=?u?d?l?l?d?d
john ... -mask=?u?d?u?l?d?d
john ... -mask=?u?d?l?u?d?d

You could probably use some syntax to squeeze this into one single mask.
Not sure how. Check out the doc/MASKS file. It should be possible to use
a mask like:

?u?d[a-zA-Z][a-zA-Z]?d?d

But I haven't tried it. If it works, do another run and insert a third
[a-zA-Z] for three upper or lower case characters in the middle instead
of two.