Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 10:00:32 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: to Single or not to Single

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 8:16 AM, Patrick Proniewski <p+password@...atpro.net>
wrote:

> Well, that's exactly why I'm using single, in fact. As I wrote, I've got a
> very good individual candidate for every individual hash. My hash file does
> not contain anything else than hashes, so out of the box, Single would not
> apply. I though it could be smart to use my candidate password as a "login"
> and build a password file that would derive benefits from Single:
>
> candidate1:hash1
> candidate2:hash2

Yes that would be effective, but the same effect would be to have a
wordlist, and
use -rules=single. I'm not sure if that will save any mem, but the effect
will be the same.
./john hashes.txt -format=dynamic_25 -wordlist=cadidates.txt -rules=single
Single will try the candidates against all hashes, not just the hash it's
next to.

Any other method I know would require to blindly test thousands candidates
> on every hash (salted -> slow). And testing ~47 millions candidates
> (+rules...) on +47 millions salted hashes, on CPU only, is not something
> you want to do.

If you've got any cracks already, creating a charset would be logical to
do, it'd guess more likely candidates based on the leaned words. If most
passwords are based off of a few words a mask hybrid makes sense, and I
believe it's faster than the external mode "known-force".
./john hashes.txt -format=dynamic_25 -mask=password?a?a
I think you can do a wordlist/mask like so
./john hashes.txt -format=dynamic_25 -wordlist=candidates.txt -mask=?w?a?a
https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/blob/bleeding-jumbo/doc/MASK

I still find the performance debatable, and I wonder if this is my best
> option. May be I should split files again (100k lines instead of millions?)
> to maintain good perf?

John also has GPU support that *might* be good for that hash type (idk),
not sure about the amount of hashes. ./john --list=formats --format=opencl
HashCat is an alternative as well if you have a nice GPU. And as i think
your
aware (sounds like you've done your homework:) you can technically use
CPU/GPU
"at the same time" http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2015/05/10/5
-rich