Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 06:28:47 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Bruteforce auto-generated md5crypt

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 10:45 PM, Xender Cage <cybercooo@...il.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, Rich and Darren.
>
> I think, dump-force is the best suitable options for me.
> How do I force john to switch to "dump-force" mode?
>
> The Incremental doesn't suit in this case, because as I said it first use
> the word-list and make a hybrid attack first.
> It is "$john --incremental mypasswd"
(Any of these will do, some may need to be altered in john.conf to suit)
john --format=md5 --session=dumbforce hashes.txt --external=dumbforce
john --format=md5 --session=dumbdumb hashes.txt --external=dumbdumb
john --format=md5 --session=knownforce hashes.txt --external=knownforce

Google ->site:openwall.com search_terms_here
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2008/03/17/2
Read the comments in John.conf around DUMBforce, it still may not be
what you want, depending on the dumbforce you use, it may not have any
CAPITAL letters, or it may try characters that you don't need to try
horizontal TAB or 8-bit codes.Trying those characters when you know
your passwords don't have them is a waste of time, on an already slow
mode. MASK I do believe is faster than external mode when it comes to
searching for all characters. (google site:openwall.com mask)
john --format=md5 --session=mask hashes.txt --mask=?a?a?a?a?a?a
again if the hashed password is going to be over 10-12 characters when
cracked, dumbforce and or mask may never get to those lengths quickly,
you can specify --men-length=8 for a little head start (pick the
number, 8 is an example)
Incremental is better for guessing human generated passwords, but it
will eventually try them all, it starts by guessing likely password
patterns because it learned from plain-text passwords.
-rich