Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2016 19:22:23 -0600
From: "geo.inbox.ignored" <geo.inbox.ignored@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Need a little help cracking one password

> I wish to crack a root password from one of my servers.  For practical
> reasons, I cannot reboot the system in single user mode and change the
> password.  I have done this times past for other servers.

}}

one does not always need JtR for password problems.

you do not mention what distrib you are using, so i pass
along what will work with centos 6.8

]$ sudo sh
[sudo] password for geo:
sh-4.1# passwd
Changing password for user root.
New password:
Retype new password:
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.
sh-4.1# exit
]$

if you did not create a 'user' account for server, then your
problem is one that you brought on yourself for not having
done so.

a rule to _remember_, if you create a system, *always* create
a 'user' for system so that you do not have to run as 'root',
except when running at level 1.

hth.

much luck.

--

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
  - Albert Einstein

peace out.

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.8

tc,hago.

.

=+=
Tired of having your microsoft os hacked?
Change to Linux os, used by microsoft hackers.
=+=
If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!
=+=
=+=