Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 06:35:30 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: restore jtr with more forks

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 4:21 AM, matlink <matlink@...link.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I got a situation: I ran for a day john with --fork=5 without telling
> the attack mode. So it started to crack showing 1/3 next to a percentage
> of progression. At the end of the day, every fork was at state 3/3, and
> guessed dozens of million of passwords each.
>
> I stopped john, gracefully killing it with 'q'. Every fork stopped
> normally. I wanted then to rise the number of forks, say 20. I ran john
> with a new session and a new potfile. However, after dozen of minutes
> passed, none of the 20 forks did crack a single password.
>
> Am I missing something? Should I use the same potfile?
A new session would be necessary to run more forks that you can
interrupt and start again. The POT file has lots of your previous
cracks already, if you weren't specifying a mode, John would of done
all the same work it did before, and simply not crack anything new
until the 20 forks passed the work the 5 did previously. Even if you
specified a different POT, the same passwords would of been cracked,
it would look like John was doing something, but it was the same work
as before.The POT file saves the cracked hashes and does not attempt
to crack the same hashes. John tries all hashes with each guess, so
until John surpasses where you left off with the 5 threads, you won't
have any new cracks when running the same command. If you ran a 20
minute session with 5 forks, the 20 should of caught up in 4-5
minutes, or 24hrs, in 6 hours, ideally. I think :)
-rich