Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 15:02:43 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John does not fork as many times as I want

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 02:34:49PM +0100, matlink wrote:
> I'm using john-1.8.0-jumbo-1 to crack Linkedin password on a
> 64-core/512GB ram server.
> I want john to fork many times, I'm then using the following command:
>
> |$ john --fork=40 --format=Raw-SHA1-Linkedin
> ../UNZIPPED/linkedin/passwords.txt > linkedin.log|
>
> After approx 5 minutes, john starts to fork and outputs:
>
> |Node numbers 1-40 of 40 (fork)|
>
> Even after waiting dozens of minutes, process monitoring only display 4
> john forks:
>
> |$ ps -ef | grep john | wc -l|
> |5|
>
> Is that an expected behavior or I am missing something?

This is not expected behavior, and IIRC that version correctly forked 32
processes for me (as requested), and similar versions even worked with
240 processes on Xeon Phi.  And prior to the 1.8.0 release, I stress-tested
the "--fork" feature with 1000 processes on an 8-core.  That was with
smaller password hash files, though.

Now 1.8.0-jumbo-1 is 2 years old, so please re-test with bleeding-jumbo.

Also, while using bleeding-jumbo (as we won't care about issues specific
to 1.8.0-jumbo-1 at this point), please test with "--format=Raw-SHA1" in
place of your "--format=Raw-SHA1-Linkedin".  This other format won't
crack LinkedIn hashes that circulated IIRC in 2012 (is this what you're
targeting?), but it will help us pinpoint the issue if it's still
present in bleeding-jumbo.

Oh, and in case you're actually targeting the much larger LinkedIn dump
from 2012 that started circulating only this year (2016), then the simple
"--format=Raw-SHA1" format should in fact be right for it (from what I
heard about it).  The "-linkedin" format is only for the old 2012 file.

Alexander