Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 14:31:32 -0300
From: Ailton Caetano <ailtoncaetanos@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Is it possible to generate a candidate password based on a candidate password?

I'm trying to generate a rule/set of rules that would allow me to generate
passwordsbased in the following scheme:

Passwords have
- 5 lowercase chars
- 2 uppercase chars
- 1 digit

I tried using a 5-lowercase chars wordlist with a rule like

A0"[A-Z]"A1"[A-Z]"A[2-7]"[0-9]"

and then expand for other combinations, but i discovered that there are
duplicates in the candidate password list. then i thought about creating a
rule that would generate candidates based on the candidates generated by
the following set of rules

A0"[A-Z]"A[1-7]"[0-9]"
A0"[0-9]"A1"[A-Z]"A[2-7]"[0-9]"
A[0-1]"[0-9]"A2"[A-Z]"A[3-7]"[0-9]"
etc.

Creating wordlist with the digit insertion after creating a wordlist with
the first uppercase char insertion occured to me, but that would take more
disk space than i'd like to use for this.

Then i thought about trying a rule that would mimic that wordlist approach,
but i could not come to grips with a rule for that.

Can you help me?

Kind Regards,

Ailton Caetano