Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 15:23:53 -0500
From: jfoug <jfoug@...nwall.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Which is the correct hash?

On 8/30/2016 1:36 PM, magnum wrote:
> According to Sebastian's mail this morning, the only usable file for
> attacking is a fairly large one (16 MB) and we may need to CRC all of
> it for each guess. That's why speed is hit and this is what the "file
> magic" stuff could possibly work around.

This was exactly why I created the magic logic. Since the blob was a
.zip file (IF the builder of the blob was not trying to confuse us by
renaming a jgp picture into a .zip), then the file magic would only need
to fully decode the first 4 bytes, and then ONLY check if those bytes
ended up being PK\x3\x4   The magic was not noticeably faster for tiny
files, but the larger the file was, the more noticeable, and as the size
of file got huge, without magic, the cracking speed simply almost crawls
to a stop.

But  (and this is a big but), we are fully assuming that we know what
the file magic looks like.  That is not always correct (especially if
the user purposely renamed something as more camouflage).

Was this a pkzip file, or a winzip AES encrypted file?  I though only
the pkzip had the magic logic in it, and that the winzip method did not
care how big the file blob was. @magnum: is my rememberance wrong here.

Jim.