Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 19:00:25 +0000 (UTC)
From: Sebastian Heyn <sebastian.heyn@...oo.de>
To:  <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Which is the correct hash?

I'm trying to bruteforce an old backup.zip file that i found after over 10 years and I wanted to have a look at. Now I obviously forgot the password.
My problem is that with john-1.7.9 (gentoo) the zip2john script gives a pkzip hash which is a 92 byte file ($PKZIP$). However when I use jumbo-john from git, zip2john gives a
32mb hashfile containing a $PKZIP2 hash.  which is the correct one? is there any known bugs in either version?

-> the pkzip hash brutes at 19k/sec
-> the pkzip2 hash brutes at 100/sec (--fork=32 gives x32 speed)

any idea which is correct hash to brute force?