Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 19:57:04 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank.dittrich@...lbox.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How long should I let JtR munch?

Hi Skip,

Am 10.08.2016 um 16:18 schrieb Skip Montanaro:
> I fed it a few raw MD5 encrypted passwords yesterday. JtR has now been
> running for about 18 hours (--fork=4) and has yet to crack any of them.

did you verify that john is able to crack those hashes when you provide
a word list with the correct passwords?

You should read doc/MARKOV, there you find how to use ./mkvcalcproba to
determine the Markov level which would crack a certain password
(depending on Markov stats file), and how to find out how many
candidates john would have to try if an attacker used this particular
cracking mode.
This should be much faster than a real cracking session.

Frank