Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2016 09:09:59 -0500
From: jfoug <jfoug@...nwall.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR homepage update; Windows builds

On Sun, 8/7/16 8:26 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
> I'd appreciate comments on how the community would like this handled for
> Windows builds going forward, especially if we automate them.  Such as:
> is it desirable that text files be converted to DOS linefeeds?  Which
> text files should this apply to?  Besides those I mentioned, there are
> also many Perl and Python scripts under run/ - I did not convert them
> now, but maybe we should be doing that as well?

I feel that propagation of 'DOS' line endings is a very bad thing. Also,
renaming to a
.txt file, that is probably very questionable also.     Why do you want
to do that?

This is not dos any more, it is Windows and CMD.  There is no need for
line endings
for sure, which will cause invalid files, that will likely make their
way back into the
code base, to only have to be changed.  In no way should script files be
converted.

Also, basing windows build on 64 bit is probably the right way to go, as
long as
there is a 32 bit build that can be downloaded.

Just my $0.02 worth.   Jim.