Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 21:05:46 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Loading a large password hash file

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 05:46:07PM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
> You never mentioned how long it actually took to load your 93 million
> hashes.  I'd expect under 3 minutes with dupe check still enabled, under
> 1.5 minutes without.

I realized I never mentioned an important detail earlier in this thread:
all of the load times I posted are with empty john.pot.  If you already
have cracked hashes in your john.pot, then loading will be slower as the
hashes being loaded will be compared to those in john.pot.

In practice, you might not prefer to have an empty john.pot, nor to
specify an alternate --pot file for each run, but you will likely want
to avoid having a lot of unrelated hashes in whatever pot file you use.

Alexander