Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 00:41:29 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: best way to attack bcrypt, for me

On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 07:46:32PM -0400, Rich Rumble wrote:
> I want to get as many Bcrypts as possible in the shortest amount of
> time (naturally) but I might not be able to setup and use a Zynq. If
> you take "ease of use" into consideration, which platform offers the
> best result for the money.
> I might be able to do 20k c/s with a Zynq 7045, but will "I" be able
> to set that up?

Setup could be tricky, but that's not the issue.  Zynq 7045 is simply
too expensive.

> I'm budgeting $2,000 (ish). That is 2 maybe 3 good GPU's, or one Zynq
> board, I could buy 2-3 Phi units, a handful of others as well.

First generation Xeon Phi (Knights Corner) are simply way too slow,
including at bcrypt.  Second generation Xeon Phi (Knights Landing) are a
lot better (about 3x faster, including at bcrypt - and possibly more as
we try tuning the code later), but you probably won't be able to buy
even one of them for $2k yet.  You can buy a dev box with one of them
for about $5k in the US, but that's obviously not cost-effective for
your task (even if your budget permitted).  Also, Xeon Phi cards don't
run (properly or at all) in most motherboards, so you would have needed
to budget for a suitable platform to run them in as well.

> 2k + ease of use (aka stupid user) = ....?

That's CPUs and GPUs.

NVIDIA Maxwell and Pascal GPUs are quite good at bcrypt, as compared to
earlier GPUs.  So you could consider those GTX 1080 cards.

On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 06:02:13PM -0800, Royce Williams wrote:
> ZTEX 1.15y clones would be cost-effective for bcrypt, both for initial
> investment and (obviously) for power consumption. Do they have
> proof-of-concept status with JtR yet?  If so, how much effort would it
> take to make them configure/make-capable?

No proof-of-concept status yet.  We barely got communication with those
boards working well.  With luck, we might have descrypt and later bcrypt
for them in a few months from now.

Unfortunately, these boards became harder to buy.  I guess there are
still a lot of them out there, but few people are selling.  The vendor
no longer offers them.

Alexander