Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 21:39:19 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Doing raw SHA512 hashes

On 2016-02-02 23:49, Frank Wang wrote:
> I am trying to run about 10 million raw SHA 512 hashes in my program and
> offloading it to a GPU will make it substantially faster. It seems like
> John the Ripper has this functionality, but it seems to be intertwined with
> the password cracking capabilities. Are there any SHA 512 OpenCL
> implementations that are easy to separate and integrate into my program?
> Possibly that already exist in John the Ripper?

I would think so. Our current GitHub code contains (among other
implementations) generic SHA512 macros in src/opencl_sha512.h which is
then used in src/opencl/office2013_kernel.cl and
src/opencl/pbkdf2_hmac_sha512_kernel.cl.

These are raw single-block functions though, for performance reasons.
Perhaps you need to hash data longer than 112 bytes, eg. with generic
"init-update-finish" style functions? I don't think we have any such
thing for OpenCL SHA512 right now but it's easily accomplished with
generic Merkel-Damgard wrappers. If you know that stuff it's easy.

magnum