Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 09:25:08 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Custom incrementals?

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 9:16 PM, japhar81 <japhar81@...il.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure this gets me there.. What I'm really trying to do is tell John
> to try anything that fits a pattern -- a regex if you will, so
> [A-Z] <5-9 chars, with at least one being a number> [!@#$]
> I still need to do a brute-force and generate all of them, I'm just trying
> to shrink the size of the possible password set as much as possible since
> RAR is so miserably slow to crack..
I'm sure it didn't, you likely want a custom Mask mode, or to look at
the "known force" external mode.
You can look at the RULES file and alter the rules to reject words
that don't have characters you want, or to insert them, looking at the
Korelogic.conf I found one that was easily modified to suit your wants
[List.Rules:AddSpecialEverywhere]
-[c:] >5 <- \p[c:] i[0-9][!$@#]

I think a "range" in Mask mode will work too:
[a-z!@#$][a-z!@#$][a-z!@#$][a-z!@#$][a-z!@#$][a-z!@#$][a-z!@#$][a-z!@#$]

$ ./john.exe -mask='[a-z!@#$][a-z!@#$][a-z!@#$][a-z!@#$][a-z!@#$][a-z!@#$][a-z!@#$][a-z!@#$]'
-stdout
aaaaaaaa