Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 04:44:52 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: MPI with Spot Instances?

On 2016-01-30 04:25, japhar81 wrote:
> They basically just disappear, whatever they were in the middle of -- i
> guess my question is, will the resume re-run whatever jobs those nodes were
> in the middle of and didn't report back? And if one of them happens to have
> hit a match, will that get saved somehow too?

A cracked password is very unlikely to not end up in the pot file. The
beauty of Solar's design is that if a session dies before it wrote a
recently cracked password to the pot file, it will also not have written
the corresponding unit of work to the session file. So a resume will
almost certainly re-crack the password.

Jumbo's MPI functionality is very KISS minded and doesn't rely on
"reporting back" anything to anyone at all. Each node runs in its own
daft world not giving a dang about the others. Each node writes its own
session file just as any non-MPI session would. In fact, the code paths
are *very* near 100% the same as when running --node=x/y in a single
process except the "x" and "y" is filled in automagically.

Worst-case scenario is supposedly that a resume will do a bit of
redundant work. This is obviously by design - better safe than sorry.
The default "Save" timer in john.conf is 60 seconds for Jumbo so you
will hopefully not lose more than that. Some modes (eg. single w/ many
salts and PRINCE regardless of salts) may be much worse than that
though, to the point that a stop/resume once an hour may end up never
proceeding past this hour at all.

magnum