Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 16:44:25 -0800
From: Dan Tentler <dan@...nlabs.com>
To: john-users <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: lost sparsebundle/timemachine credential

Hey Fellas,

  So, like a derp, I screwed up my backups. I was able to partially
restore using a backup from last august, but theres a sparsebundle I
need to crack to get my newest backups.

  I've already used dmg2john to get the hash (holy crap are they huge)
from the sparsebundle.
  My question is about hugely narrowing down the passwords. I need to
basically build a dictionary of my own credentials, and substitute words
and numbers around.

  Outside of using crunch, and building a huge dictionary by hand, is
there a way to tell jtr to use wildcards, similar to how hashcat does
it? Or to stack dictionaries?
  Here's what I'm thinking

  Lets say my password is "imadumbass123!!!", but I want to swap just
the exclamation points at the end for other symbols, the numbers for
other letters, or the word 'dumbass' for 'idiot' or another smaller
dictionary of options.. Is it possible to do something like

ima$1123!!!
imadumbass$1!!!
imadumbass123$1

where $1 would be either a mask (?d?d?d, ?s?s?s) or another smaller dict
file (selfdeprecationisfun.txt, which contains a variety of other words)

I don't THINK jtr can do this at the moment, if it can I'll be
pleasantly surprised, but I'm expecting some amalgamation of glueing
together various tools to get this done.

Any advice is appreciated!

If you guys recall - Jeremiah Grossman had the same problem a few years
ago and he wrote a blogpost about it. This is literally the same thing.

-Dan