Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 14:02:25 +0100
From: patpro@...pro.net
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: limiting password candidates in wordlist mode

Hi,

I would like to filter or limit password candidates while using wordlist mode attack, but I'm not so sure about the best way to do this.
External filter option helped me with filters such as Alnum for example, and it worked great, but I would like now to limit candidates only by their size: ie. test only passwords from 10 to 12 characters long (any characters, not just alnum).
I'm using many rules (rules=ALL on JtR-Jumbo), so keeping only 10-12 char long words from my list is not a good option I think as many rules will either increase or decrease the original word length.

Thanks,
pat