Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 08:45:36 -0900
From: Royce Williams <royce@...ho.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: password cracking as a subset of hash searching

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 8:40 AM, Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 2:49 AM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:

> >> I can see a vanity tripcode, even slimmer a vanity BtC wallet, those are
> visible to others, but your own hash or salt, even for older folks like me
> have zero appeal. A vanity PGP key... ehhh who would notice. Sounds cool on
> paper (or does it?), get's missed by 99.99999999 of the people who would
> ever see it.

That's why I titled the post "more than just vanity." :)  I believe
that there are other uses.  Partial hash matches are currently being
used in multiple previous and current CTFs. I believe that this is
because partial hash matches have real-world value, some of which may
not yet be readily apparent.

> >> I would want my password to be memorable long before I'd want my hash/key
> to be :)
> -rich

Me, too - but memorability is only one use case.

Royce