Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 00:44:57 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Stacked modes

On 2015-11-18 23:52, magnum wrote:
> The chain can also end with an external filter in all cases, except a
> chain can not start with External mode, go via stacked regex or mask,
> and end with an external filter. Basically the chain of modes can start
> *or* end with External. BTW using external filter with GPU-side mask
> will end up in some more or less undefined behavior (we currently
> neither disallow it or warn).

On a second thought, the above is not quite correct as written. What I
had in mind was something like running -ext:keyboard through hybrid mask
and end it with -ext:filter_rot13. That obviously doesn't work (stacked
or not). We don't have any option syntax that supports it, for a starter.

However, an external mode that has both generate() and filter() *will*
work just fine (with exception of GPU mask as mentioned) with stacked
modes inbetween. Note though that some modes may REALLY not expect the
candidates to have been altered (and even "amplified") between
generation and filter.

magnum