Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 18:10:43 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Fork vs / w/ OpenMP

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 5:29 PM, Demian Smith <demian.smith@....de> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I m working (still) on a truecrypt situation and someone mentioned in
> this list I should rather use --fork as opposed to OpenMP with 2 cores
> each.
>
> I did read to documentation on fork, but being an non-native speaker, I
> can't wrap my head around it, really.

Perhaps this will help: http://openwall.info/wiki/john/parallelization
TLDR; Fork will be a better (faster) choice for hashes that don't have OMP
implimentations, or hashes that are already fast, OMP typically doesn't
offer anything.

> How would I get the biggest "bang for my buck", if I want to work with
> incremental, custom chr and ideally external mode (I might have added
> two numbers to the password at a specific place and known digits)?

You have to know what will guess your password best here. Will a wordlist
work? Will using incremental, will using a keyboard (external) patter work?
Sometimes when you don't know, you have to try them all. Cutom chr won't do
you any good unless you have cracked a few thosand or more passwords from a
related source. Custom is when you have a bunch of hashes from the same
source, like a domain, and ldap server for example. They don't have to be
from the same source, but it sure helps in that situation. Again it's the
hash type that will make the difference in speed the most, but some modes
are slower than others, external is slower in some cases than other modes
in my experience.

> Or would I be best of with running twice plain old
> alias john2='OMP_NUM_THREADS=2 ~/.bin/JohnTheRipper/run/john
> one time for each hash type?

Not a bad idea, and if the hash type is fast (TC is not) you can often
double up sessions or run's against a list. TC is slow, so I'd go with the
one it's more likely to be (Ripe160). Here are some sample hashes you can
use, TC is among them:
http://openwall.info/wiki/john/sample-non-hashes?s[]=sample#TrueCrypt-Volumes
-rich