Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 00:03:44 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: External subsets mode

On 2015-09-01 23:39, Luis Rocha wrote:
> I was trying the --external=subsets mode with a different character but I
> get a segmentation fault when changing the character range in john.conf:
>

> /* This defines the character set */
>          i = 0;
>          c = 0xc2a1;
>          while (c <= 0xcdaf)
>                  charset[i++] = c++;
>

> $ ./john /tmp/hashes --internal-encoding=utf-8 --encoding=utf-8 --format=nt
> --external=subsets
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>

> Any idea what it could be?

You probably forgot to bump the declaration "int charset[0x100];" to
something larger. But you can't use Unicode characters like that anyway.
Have a look at dumb16.conf and/or dumb32.conf for a way to do it: Those
two modes work with UTF-16 and UTF-32 internally and has a final
conversion from that into UTF-8.

magnum