Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 10:18:51 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: where are the cracked passwords

readyc12000,

I took the liberty to change the Subject of this message from your "JTR
Question" (something we specifically ask not to use on JtR homepage) to
"where are the cracked passwords", while in the moderation queue.

On Fri, Aug 07, 2015 at 01:50:27AM -0500, readyc12000 . wrote:
> Where are the actual passwords

Please read doc/README and doc/EXAMPLES.  To summarize, most cracked
passwords are printed to the terminal during cracking, but to reliably
obtain them you should use the "--show" option.  Please do refer to the
examples in the documentation for the specifics.

> or should there be no password for these users.

For which ones?  You copied some pieces of Viktor's posting here.  In
that posting, he appears to have excluded the portions of terminal
output with actual cracked passwords, even though the "guess counts" are
non-zero, so there were some successful cracks.

> /john --fork=8 --device=0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 --format=sha512crypt-opencl
> 5 1g 0:00:03:25 98.26% 2/3 (ETA: 01:29:13) 0.004877g/s 0p/s 13621c/s
> 13621C/s GPU:42°C util:99% password1..sssing

For example, the "1g" here means that this child process had cracked 1
password by that point.  The password should have been printed to the
terminal as well, but is not included in Viktor's posting.

The "password1..sssing" is a range of candidate passwords that this
process was trying at that time.  These are not actual cracked passwords.

Alexander