Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2015 10:28:20 +0200
From: Marek Wrzosek <marek.wrzosek@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Why does john display some cracked passwords twice?

W dniu 30.07.2015 o 10:04, Marek Wrzosek pisze:
> W dniu 29.07.2015 o 20:45, Solar Designer pisze:
>> You don't need to remove them.  John's output during cracking is just
>> for you to be aware of its progress, and john.pot is normally for John's
>> internal use.  The actual cracking results you should obtain with "john
>> --show passwordfileshere", and this won't show any duplicates even if
>> there are duplicate lines in your pot file.

What is maximum size of pot file?

>> Sure, your use of --fork is fine.
>>

>> Why, I guess it completed much quicker with --fork than it would have
>> without, even if it produced some duplicate cracks.

I think, that depends on how many processes and how often are cracking
the exact same passwords, so in certain circumferences maybe OpenMP is
better. Is there somewhere a comparison of OpenMP and fork? What are
pros and cons of both solutions?

>> I would be happier to end this thread when we have a specific
>> conclusion: a JtR bug (e.g., if reproducible with modes other than
>> wordlist and loopback) or just an expected side-effect of having similar
>> input words (e.g., what you saw is not surprising at all if that was in
>> loopback mode, where you could have the same passwords already in your
>> john.pot, e.g. for different salts).  Thank you, Marek.
>>
>> Alexander

Actually, there was no salts, I was cracking raw-md5. This was test of
my new (used) CPU, I was starting fresh, so there are only MD5 hashes
from this crack.

I checked markov and incremental already with and without mask mode -
there is no duplicates in pot file, so far, but I've (re-)discovered
something interesting (but not john-related, it's more mind-related).
Using markov mode (or incremental) with mask mode (I was using ?w?d?d)
and depending on what passwords are encrypted in your hashes could cause
output like that:

mavjoy22         (?)
gaberh24         (?)
gabe0812         (?)
gabou812         (?)
gabi1025         (?)
gabi2136         (?)
gabija99         (?)
gab012698        (?)
once6996         (?)
bt098756         (?)

There could be more pairs like:

gabe0812         (?)
gabou812         (?)

fast scrolling across the screen (or terminal window) they look the same
for human eyes. Imagine seeing this for few days et voilĂ . I was using
loopback mode from time to time (which is probably the main producer of
duplicates), so I'm not sure which duplicate come from which mode. I
wasn't searching for duplicates before it starts alarming me.

Best Regards
--
Marek Wrzosek
marek.wrzosek@...il.com