Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 01:17:29 +0200
From: Marek Wrzosek <marek.wrzosek@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Memory leak in regex mode

W dniu 28.05.2015 o 00:22, magnum pisze:
> On 2015-05-27 23:52, Marek Wrzosek wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Today I fortunately was running top in one of terminal and I've observed
>> that john with --loopback and --regex is using almost all memory. I've
>> just found another pretext for dropping librexgen. ;-)
>
> Perhaps you confused virtual memory with actually used RAM? Wordlist and
> loopback modes normally memory-map stuff. It's not "using" memory more
> than the normal OS caches are. That is, unless someone needs it, let's
> use it.
>
> magnum

Normally (not using regex) john in loopback or wordlist mode is not
using all RAM. With regex percentage of used memory was fast increasing
and system started to swap. I've 6GB RAM on my laptop, there was more
than 2GB in swap, normally swap is almost all free.
--
Marek Wrzosek
marek.wrzosek@...il.com