Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 23:11:07 +0200
From: Marek Wrzosek <marek.wrzosek@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Advise on best approach (truecrypt pw based on pdf
 file)

Hi

I went back to the beginning of this thread. This approach seems right
but if it fails then I don't know if Markov mode is any better than
Incremental.
But if you choose to run Markov mode, you will need to train it with
your wordlist made of pdf. You will also need mask with first capital
letter. If there is a pattern, then Markov model should learn it and
generate passwords very similar to yours. There are two parameters that
are the most important - Markov level and length of passwords. After
creating stats file you'll need to run genmkvpwd command with your stats
file and required password lengths. This command will calculate levels
and number of possible passwords for each level. Depending on how fast
you can crack them and how much time you can spend on cracking, you can
choose right level.
The good news is that using Markov mode you can distribute work among
many computers. And if it fails too, we'll always have Incremental ;-)
But I keep my fingers crossed for Wordlist mode.

Best Regards

--
Marek Wrzosek
marek.wrzosek@...il.com