Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 11:18:12 +0100
From: Demian Smith <demian.smith@....de>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Advise on best approach (truecrypt pw based on pdf
 file)

Hi magnum,

thanks a million for the rule Orz !

I ran it over my file, alas - to no avail. I start to think there's
something really wrong/awkward, in all likelihood on my side of thinks
when creating the encrypted HDD.

I have as well created of copy of the wordlist and manually went through
the 3500 lines to check where there wrong line breaks (i.e. lines
starting with lower case).

So, this is my last question and with it I wish to apply for the "Most
stupid question - 2015" award - is it possible, to create a "moving
interval" rule?

I am thinking to take my wordlist rule, remove all the line breaks so
that I have a really long stream of chars and then just move the Interval.

Say, my stream would be
SiadqrfewmnsohabiwtoarotwwsbaotmcaaTpthbwuitrubwltetpt

I'd like to have rule (or preoprocessed rule) that walks throught the
file like this
[Siad]qrfewmnsohabiwtoarotwwsbaotmcaaTpthbwuitrubwltetpt
[Siadq]rfewmnsohabiwtoarotwwsbaotmcaaTpthbwuitrubwltetpt
[Siadqr]fewmnsohabiwtoarotwwsbaotmcaaTpthbwuitrubwltetpt
(...)
[Siadqrfewmnsohabiwto]arotwwsbaotmcaaTpthbwuitrubwltetpt
S[iadq]rfewmnsohabiwtoarotwwsbaotmcaaTpthbwuitrubwltetpt
S[iadqr]fewmnsohabiwtoarotwwsbaotmcaaTpthbwuitrubwltetpt
S[iadqrf]ewmnsohabiwtoarotwwsbaotmcaaTpthbwuitrubwltetpt
(...)
Si[adqr]fewmnsohabiwtoarotwwsbaotmcaaTpthbwuitrubwltetpt

This might not result in any positives, but after I have treid all the
other things, I just would like to use this last attempt, before going
back to "BruteForcing" with incremental...

Right now the --rules=single runs on the file, but it takes quite long
as I have the additional ones from KoreLogic in there ( which in my case
probably doesn't make any sense in the first place)

Anyway, if I could get a quick word on my interval idea, I hope I can
then stop asking questions and bug you :s

Thanks,
Demian

 ★ On 15/05/14 01:32 a.m. Magnum wrote ★