Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 22:19:29 +0100
From: Demian Smith <demian.smith@....de>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Advise on best approach (truecrypt pw based on pdf
 file)

Hi list,

still working on my truecrypt hash - in the meantime I have converted
all pdfs in a folder to txt and created the "first letter only" candidates.

I am currently running the truncate rule that magnum thankfully provided
me with on the wordlist (>[4-9A-Z]'\0 )

As this had not been succesful yet even though I assume the correct pdf
had been used I was wondering could a rule be written to do the
"opposite" of truncate?

So instead of truncating
Abcdefgeh to Abcd | Abc | Ab it would start from the back and
"truncates" to fgeh | geh | ge instead. I hope by doing so I fetch out
the stuff I have not tested as yet, in case I started at some random
spot in the sentence...

I am not sure whether this question even makes sense at all, but I am
getting really desperate here, and quickly so...

Thanks for reading,
Marcel

 ★ On 15/05/10 10:38 p.m. Demian Smith wrote ★
> Hi Magnum,
>
> thanks for your ongoing patience with a young Padawan :s
>
> I am kind of lost, in my opinion the truncate should have easily cracked
> the hash, but to no avail. I ran your sed magick again over the txt file
> (without linebreaks) and used the truncate rule on it, no luck.
>
>> wordfile had 10686 lines and required 85488 bytes for index.
>> 0:00:00:00 - suppressed 1 duplicate lines and/or comments from wordlist.
>> 0:00:00:00 - 31 preprocessed word mangling rules
>
> So I am afraid I did something utterly stupid (like starting with the
> last art of a sentence and making it a new sentence, typos, adding a
> number at the beginnin or end - which I doubt -  et cetera) and hence
> will have to go back to incremental and keeping fingers crossed. Unless
> someone else has another good idea ...
>
> It is anyway good to start learning about the rules, in case I ever need
> them again :)
>
> Cheers,
> Demian
> --
> 'It's no measure of mental health to be well adjusted
> to a profoundly sick society.'
>
> Sinéad O'Connor
>
>  ★ On 15/05/10 06:24 p.m. Magnum wrote ★
>> On 2015-05-10 19:03, Demian Smith wrote:
>>>   ★ On 15/05/09 11:37 p.m. Magnum wrote ★

>>> I have taken your advise and am running it with A-Z and have as well
>>> intentions to look into the "rules" doc to see what 5-9 in this
>>> instance means.
>>
>> There's nothing special about 5-9, 5 means 5 and 9 means 9. The special
>> is rather that that A means 10 and so on.
>>
>> Here's a simple rule that truncates to length 5:
>>
>> '5
>>
>> Here's one that's enhanced to skip words that weren't at least length 5
>> in the first place:
>>
>>> 5'5
>>
>> The >5 means that the rule only applies to words longer than 5
>> characters, and the '5 is the actual truncation.
>>
>> The bracket thing is pre-processor stuff. [5-9A-C] will expand to one
>> rule with that whole bracket string replaced with "5", another line
>> using "6", and so on. And the \0 means "repeat the last bracket
>> expansion". So our pre-processor rule of
>>
>>> [5-9A-C]'\0
>>
>> will look like this after pre-processing:
>>
>>> 5'5
>>> 6'6
>>> 7'7
>>> 8'8