Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 21:11:24 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Multiple Cores and GPU

On 2015-05-10 19:57, Luis Rocha wrote:
> I am trying to get john to use all CPU cores and 1 GPU together.
>
> Not sure how to do this but my current system has 4 cores and 1 GPU but
> when I try to use the --fork suffix I would like to set that for CPU device
> use --fork=4 but for GPU --fork=1
> Because when I try to use --fork=4, John starts a second instance running
> on the GPU which is useless ....
>
> Is this possible?

No... well, almost: In the (few) cases where the OpenCL format using the
CPU device is as fast as a plain CPU format, you could just use
"--format=md5crypt-opencl --fork=2 -dev=all" and it would use one
process for GPU and another process using all CPU cores via OpenCL.

Other than that, I'd recomment either using the --node option to split
the job in parts and run them separately, or simply run two different
attacks (eg. one using mask mode on GPU and another using wordlist mode
on CPUs).

magnum